Sunday, March 30, 2008

The "Old Person" blogs, part the first...

Original title: How to tell if you're becoming an old person
Original date of publication: April 2, 2007

This morning while I was getting ready for work, I was watching "That 70s Show" on DVD in an effort to both wake myself up and make myself cheery for work. Used to be that Hyde was my favorite character, because he's an evil genius and not as much of an asshole as he pretends to be. (NONE OF US are as much of an asshole as we pretend to be. Some of us are way less of one, some are significantly more!) Plus, if you ignore his scientology leanings and longhaired-ness, Danny Masterson is fairly hot. So there you have that.Then Jackie became my favorite character (and to some degree still is) because of the fact that she tells things like they are, and her eventual emotional growth.But anyway, this morning I found myself thinking that the best character on the show, bar none, from start to finish, is Red. That's right, the hard-ass parent who likes nothing better than to rain on his only son's parade and make life difficult for every person who walks into his house. I even find myself frequently using one of his most inspired quotes, "If it weren't for rules, we'd all just be sitting in trees flinging our crap at each other."Yes, Red. YES WE WOULD.Add that to the fact that I've been considering my budget very carefully these days, watching what I eat and drink, setting up elaborate paramenters for myself and considering my 401-K at LENGTH, and I have come to the conclusion that I'm becoming an old person. I have actually said (and meant!) "That is not music, it's noise/screaming!" I am usually in bed by 11:30. Good grief, I'm dull.But there really are so many dumbasses out there...

No comments: