Monday, August 18, 2008

BAD. MESSAGE.

Well I saw on the cover of US WEEKLY that Jennifer Love Hewitt has lost 18 pounds in 10 weeks. That's great. How did she accomplish such an incredible feat? With diet and exercise, I imagine, as a loss of 1.5 to 2 pounds weekly is considered healthy weight loss. So at first I would say "good for you, Jennifer," for losing weight like a civilian instead of a movie star.

But then it occurred to me that a few month back, there was a big hoohah about how "fat" she was (which she most certainly was not) to which she responded by saying a) no, I am not fat, thanks, and b) the fact that you say I *am* is what contributes to normal girls having horrific body images, so shut the fuck up.

I'm not a big fan of JLH, but I was really impressed with her going to bat for her own self and saying what she did say. Now I am considerably less impressed, since I don't think that losing weight is the act of someone who believes they are not fat. And even if someone who doesn't think they are fat does lose weight, they sure as shit don't go on the cover of US WEEKLY about it.

No comments: