Sunday, August 17, 2008

Perhaps it all begs for a cast of characters...

It occurs to me...well, two things.
First, that I like technology. It allows me to write and to talk about myself for absolutely no good reason. Both those things are fun. Also, it allows me to keep in close touch with people who live in parts nearly unknown without getting up off my...chair. Like I can say, "oh, I was having this conversation with Emily the other day, and blah blah blah, we were discussing zombies."

Here are the pertinent facts that are left out that sentence:

1) I have not actually seen Emily, face to face, in over a year.
2) Emily lives in Colorado.
3) This conversation was taking place over a matter of hours on Twitter, and
4) Much of this conversation consisted of trading zombie-related websites.

This is to say NOTHING of the fact that we're two 28-year-old women discussing ZOMBIES. That is to say nothing of the fact that my roommate and I (two more 28-year-old women) have ALSO recently had in-depth conversations over which we were more concerned about: zombies, vampires, killer robots or werewolves. And we were not really kidding. I mean I considered making a flip chart.

So the second thing that occurs to me is that technology is perhaps dishonest. Or at least discussing it is. Or at least the way in which I was just discussing it is. Look:

Me: Oh, I was having this conversation with Emily--
Someone Else: Oh, Emily who?
Me: Emily [Her Last Name]. My friend who lives in Colorado.
Someone Else: Oh, when did you see her?
Me: I didn't "see" her--
Someone Else: Then you talked to her on the phone?
Me: (very quietly) No...
Someone Else: Were you on AIM?
Me: (extremely quietly) No...
Someone Else: So how did you talk to her?
Me: (inaudible)
Someone Else: WHAT?
Me: Twitter.
Someone Else: TWITTER?!
Me: Yep.
Someone Else: You should probably get a life.

If it's not dishonest, it comes down to the following: I may be a dork.

1 comment:

Emily Hainsworth said...

ROFL. No one knows about my secret Twitter life. Except Stefan, who routinely *rolls his eyes* -but he says hi!!