Monday, August 18, 2008

The Funk

I've re-gotten into funk music lately, because I think it has a lot of feeling to it and because it makes me want to dance whenever I hear it. This happened as a result of listening to a CD that one of my pharmacists lent me like a year ago after discovering he and I had "identical" taste in music. (This turned out to not be true, btw. Because he loves the band Rush beyond fucking reason. Sorry, charlie, but I cannot get in on that.)

Anyway, Bruce lent me this CD, and included on it was a whole bunch of what I would deem "disco" but which I believe is more correctly called "funk." So I am totally soaking it up, having transfered a whole mess of it to my iPod.

So then Amanda gets a new cell phone, which is a third generation LG Chocolate, a phone that not only looks awesome but comes with about a skillion excellent ringtones, one of which sounds like a car chase scene from Shaft. I laughed uproariously when I heard this ringtone, and I think because of that, Amanda used it for about a week, referring to it the entire time as "the funk." In fact, when it would ring while we were engrossed in conversation, she would politely excuse herself by saying, "pardon me for just a moment. I believe Shaft is calling me."

Today we were working on packing up the contents of our apartment, since we're both moving in like a week, and Amanda had gone downstairs to try to wrangle a lamp into her car. I, meanwhile, am putting empties from our wine cabinet into a box for recycling, and reassuring myself it *has actually taken us quite a while* to drink it all, when I hear Amanda's Isaac Hayes-sounding ringtone start up in her room.

I do not know why it struck me as so important, but I ran in there, unplugged the phone from the charger and ran into the hall, down the stairs and toward the front door yelling "THE FUNK! THE FUNK!"

It wasn't Shaft, by the way. It was her dad.

No comments: