Tuesday, September 23, 2008

...Gently down the stream...

Today I felt like shite and left work halfway through the day. While I find spending the day abed usually makes me feel a little better, it doesn't exactly do wonders towards helping my brain which I cannot turn off. Some of the stuff I think of is too bleak to repeat in any kind of company that doesn't cost me $90 per hour (rim shot) (maybe) but some of it is actually sort of interesting.

There is one entertaining thing about having a brain that won't shut off, which is that you can usually trace any one random thought's origin back to something completely unrelated. Once when I was about a junior in college, I found myself laying awake at night thinking about matadors. I wondered how I had gotten there, so (partially in an effort to bore myself to sleep) I traced the thought backward through to where the process had begun. And somehow it went back to "The Simpsons." I don't know why.

It occurs to me that even if I solved all the problems I have at this moment, like most people, I would probably just manufacture more. Like I would decide that I was too fat or too thin or that my boobs weren't big enough or something like that. See? I still have actual problems, and I'm already trying to fabricate new ones.

It occurs to me--as I've been taking in and deeply absorbing "Spaced" like grape juice or a summer breeze--that if the United States had never declared its independence from Great Britain, we would not be so entertained by British comedy. And Lara Croft wouldn't be nearly so cool.

It occurs to me that, as a woman, to play Resident Evil 3 BEFORE you play the original is to eventually be horrified by what Jill Valentine once was. (A flake.)

I really enjoy eyeliner.

Most continuums of humor or scariness are relative.

Summer ends when school starts. Whether you go back or not.

I can't believe those Kashi crackers aren't higher in fiber.

Empire apples are almost back in season.

Time whips by when you're thinking...

No comments: